All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: Index data running dbxquery command

maurelio79
Communicator

Hi to all, i'd like to know if it's possible index data running dbx command from a sdk python script.
I'm not finding anything on internet. if i manually run | dbxquery ... data are not indexed, they are indexed just if the query is scheduled via Splunk UI.
Is there a different way? Maybe some rest api? Or maybe running one of the mi script (mi_input.py?) after command dbxquery?

Thanks and regards.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you read through the documentation? Database Inputs are used to index data from a database. The dbxquery search command is used to execute SQL statements or stored procedures.

What is your requirement that you need to execute it from a Python script?
I guess it would be possible to execute a query with dbxquery and then use | collect to store the results in an index, but it would help to better understand your use case.

0 Karma

garias_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Tested!
from the command line, curl command calling saved search that includes a |collect index=yourIndexHere does trigger a search that gets data from DB and index the outcome within yourIndexHere

0 Karma

maurelio79
Communicator

Hi, first of all for for answer.
Basically i was asked to give to the customer the possibility to change the scheduled time of db input via beta48 batch on mainframe.
For example: when new data are inserted on DB2, the user schedule a job that change the scheduled time of the DB input, for this reason i was thinking about python.

Thanks and regards.

P.S.
Basically i need to run a DB input on demand, not scheduled.

0 Karma

francisco_mota
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Maybe using as bellow:

| dbxquery connection=<YOUR_CONNECTION> query="<YOUR_QUERY>" | collect index=<YOUR_INDEX_NAME>
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...