All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: How to resolve error "Database 'NULL' does not exist"?

sassens1
Path Finder

Hello,

after a while my Splunk DB Connect instance stopped working and I noticed this particular error message:

ERROR ServiceResponder:352 - action=service_responder_responding_error error={}
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Database 'NULL' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:216)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF(tdsparser.java:254)
../..

Basically I've checked the config and overwritten it, pure and simple. it immediately started working for few minutes then again the error message.
On the DB server side everything is OK and nothing has changed.

It's like Splunk DB Connect doesn't keep the database name.

Any idea?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sassens1
Path Finder

I've restarted splunk and it seems to have fixed the issue...
So far if any modification is done on the input config, splunk should be restarted I suppose.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sassens1
Path Finder

I've restarted splunk and it seems to have fixed the issue...
So far if any modification is done on the input config, splunk should be restarted I suppose.

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, whenever you make changes to configuration files, you should restart Splunk for those changes to take effect: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Admin/Configurationfilechangesthatrequirerestart

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...