All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2: Why does the RPC Service go through a restart loop in a Splunk 6.4 search head cluster?

jonathan_cooper
Communicator

I have a new install running Splunk 6.4 on RHEL 7. I have a Search Head Cluster with 3 members and pushed the DB Connect 2 app out via the Search Head Deployer. I have Java 1.8.0_77 installed on all of my Search Heads and configured the correct path within the DB Connect app (/usr/java/jre1.8.0_77). The RPC server status icon shows green, however, I noticed upon page refresh it would switch to "Down" and then with another refresh goes back to "Up".

In the rpc.log I can see the RPC server consistently restarting, as seen here:

alt text

I have debug logging enabled but it doesn't show anything of value. SELinux is permissive, and normal system logs do not report anything related. Could this be a bug with 6.4?

I also tested on a non-clustered SH and got the same result.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

DBX-2850: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/2.2.0/ReleaseNotes/Releasenotes#Fixed_issues 2.1.3 won't work on a 6.4 search head cluster, 2.2.0 will.

jonathan_cooper
Communicator

Read through the release notes, I must have skimmed that line. Thanks for the clarification! RTFM FTW.

0 Karma

jonathan_cooper
Communicator

Update: I was mistaken about the standalone SH, it seems to be working fine. This seems to be an issue with Search Head Clusters. Any ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...