All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for VMware: Issue with sourcetype extractions

prakash007
Builder

Upgraded Splunk app for VMware to 3.4.0 with VMware v6.5.0...

we are not seeing any sourcetype extractions based on props and transforms in Splunk_TA_vcenter...

Splunk_TA_vcenter is installed on HF(syslog), Indexer and SearchHead(stand alone search head, dedicated for vmware)

vCenter---->HF(syslog)------>Indexer------>SearchHead

#our custom inputs on HF
 inputs.conf
 [monitor:///var/log/vmware_hosts/vcenter-*.myorg/messages*]
 disabled = 0
 sourcetype = vclog
 host_segment = 4
 index = vmware-vclog

#props and transforms are from Splunk_TA_vCenter
 props.conf
 [vclog]
 SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
 TRANSFORMS-vmwvclogsourcetype = set_vclog_sourcetype

transforms.conf
 #Sourcetype Extraction
 [set_vclog_sourcetype]
 REGEX = ^([a-z\-]+)
 DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
 FORMAT = sourcetype::vmware:vclog:$1
0 Karma

afamoyib
Path Finder

I had a doh moment with this early on. I figured the props and tranform conf files were not the correct ones being loaded. Try using the btool to make sure your configuration are not being overwritten by locally deployed conf files

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @mcnamara,
Can you please provide few details?

1) Provide Vcenter details
version :

2) How you collecting VCenter vclog data on HF, Via monitoring stanza OR using syslog?

3)Have you configured custom syslog or log files? I found above-defined extraction will work for only Syslog data. The rex used for sourcetype extraction will work for Syslog event only.

4) Can you please check link and verify your steps?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/VMW/vCenterlogs#Collect_vCenter_Server_Applianc...

Thanks

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

1) Provide Vcenter details
version :
it's a linux appliance vCSA 6.5

2) How you collecting VCenter vclog data on HF, Via monitoring stanza OR using syslog?
vCenter--->syslog forwarding-udp/514(HF)-->using a monitoring stanza as defined above

3)Have you configured custom syslog or log files? I found above-defined extraction will work for only Syslog data. The rex used for sourcetype extraction will work for Syslog event only.
we are thinking to do a custom extraction for sourcetype

4) Can you please check link and verify your steps?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/VMW/vCenterlogs#Collect_vCenter_Server_Applianc...
we are forwarding vCenter logs to HF, monitoring using a custom stanza, we haven't made any tweaks based on this doc.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Then we have to change rex in transforms.conf.

can you please try below rex in set_vclog_sourcetype stanza?

REGEX =  ([a-z\-]+)\[
0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

I have already changed the regex, and i am checking on the right field extractions based on props and transforms.

0 Karma

mgranger1
Path Finder

I'm having the same issue. I've made these REGEX changes. The only difference on our implementation, is that I am ingesting directly from syslog on TCP:1517. I have checked for local configurations, and while I have a local inputs.conf (that has the copied stanza from the setup instructions), I do NOT have a local transforms.conf.

I have vCenter Appliances running 6.5, and I'm currently running Splunk 6.6.4.

Has anyone found a solution for this issue? (by the way, I am both happy and sad that I'm not the only one having this issue)

Sincerely,
Matthew Granger

xavierashe
Contributor

Can you post some sample events?

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

I have the sample events below, but according to the docs, the props/transforms should extract these sourcetypes

vmware:vclog:vpxd
vmware:vclog:vpxd-profiler

vmware:vclog:vpxd-alert
vmware:vclog

vmware:vclog:cim-diag

Nov 13 09:28:33 vc-mir01 vpxd[2860] Event [5092318] [1-1] [2017-11-20T15:28:33.26976Z] [vim.event.UserLogoutSessionEvent] [info] [AD\irkms-sme-daleapp] [] [5092318] [User AD\itcms-sme-daleapp@192.168.90.89 logged out (login time: Monday, 13 November, 2017 15:28:21, number of API invocations: 1, user agent: web-client/6.5.0)]

Nov 13 09:27:50 vc-mils vmon[1324] Executing op API_HEALTH on service netdumper...
Nov 13 09:27:50 vc-mils vmon[1324] Constructed command: /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/vmware-vmon/vmonApiHealthCmd.py -n vmware-vpostgres -f /dev/shm/vmware-postgres-health-status.xml
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...