All Apps and Add-ons

error message: script exited with code 1

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk is producing error message "script exited with code 1" for the following scripts: rlog.sh, time.sh, and lsog.sh

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The user who had this question actually solved the issue already, so I'm posting the answer here on his behalf. Here is what he said:

Those scripts are all from the *nix add-on, and are enabled by default (and should be anyway). The scripts were running locally on our Splunk linux machines as the Splunk service account (which is should be). But, the Splunk service account needed some additional permissions and configurations then what we had set up originally, which is why I was seeing those problems.

I encountered these errors on the same scripts (and some other ones) on his other Splunk servers, and figured out how to fix them. Here is what I did:

rlog.sh — the splunk service account needs read and execute permissions on the directory /var/log/audit and read permissions on the file /var/log/audit/audit.log

time.sh and lsog.sh — the splunk service account needs the following additions to the its PATH variable: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin

So, I made the noted changes and those scripts are no longer throwing any errors.

View solution in original post

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The user who had this question actually solved the issue already, so I'm posting the answer here on his behalf. Here is what he said:

Those scripts are all from the *nix add-on, and are enabled by default (and should be anyway). The scripts were running locally on our Splunk linux machines as the Splunk service account (which is should be). But, the Splunk service account needed some additional permissions and configurations then what we had set up originally, which is why I was seeing those problems.

I encountered these errors on the same scripts (and some other ones) on his other Splunk servers, and figured out how to fix them. Here is what I did:

rlog.sh — the splunk service account needs read and execute permissions on the directory /var/log/audit and read permissions on the file /var/log/audit/audit.log

time.sh and lsog.sh — the splunk service account needs the following additions to the its PATH variable: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin

So, I made the noted changes and those scripts are no longer throwing any errors.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enterprise Security Content Updates (ESCU) - New Releases

In the last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team (STRT) has had 3 releases of new content via the Enterprise ...

Thought Leaders are Validating Your Hard Work and Training Rigor

As a Splunk enthusiast and member of the Splunk Community, you are one of thousands who recognize the value of ...

.conf23 Registration is Now Open!

Time to toss the .conf-etti 🎉 —  .conf23 registration is open!   Join us in Las Vegas July 17-20 for ...