All Apps and Add-ons

error message: script exited with code 1

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk is producing error message "script exited with code 1" for the following scripts: rlog.sh, time.sh, and lsog.sh

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The user who had this question actually solved the issue already, so I'm posting the answer here on his behalf. Here is what he said:

Those scripts are all from the *nix add-on, and are enabled by default (and should be anyway). The scripts were running locally on our Splunk linux machines as the Splunk service account (which is should be). But, the Splunk service account needed some additional permissions and configurations then what we had set up originally, which is why I was seeing those problems.

I encountered these errors on the same scripts (and some other ones) on his other Splunk servers, and figured out how to fix them. Here is what I did:

rlog.sh — the splunk service account needs read and execute permissions on the directory /var/log/audit and read permissions on the file /var/log/audit/audit.log

time.sh and lsog.sh — the splunk service account needs the following additions to the its PATH variable: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin

So, I made the noted changes and those scripts are no longer throwing any errors.

View solution in original post

slea_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The user who had this question actually solved the issue already, so I'm posting the answer here on his behalf. Here is what he said:

Those scripts are all from the *nix add-on, and are enabled by default (and should be anyway). The scripts were running locally on our Splunk linux machines as the Splunk service account (which is should be). But, the Splunk service account needed some additional permissions and configurations then what we had set up originally, which is why I was seeing those problems.

I encountered these errors on the same scripts (and some other ones) on his other Splunk servers, and figured out how to fix them. Here is what I did:

rlog.sh — the splunk service account needs read and execute permissions on the directory /var/log/audit and read permissions on the file /var/log/audit/audit.log

time.sh and lsog.sh — the splunk service account needs the following additions to the its PATH variable: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin

So, I made the noted changes and those scripts are no longer throwing any errors.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...