All Apps and Add-ons

New SCOMManagementGroupConnection Fail: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

kmhuglen

After setting up the SCOM add-on I got the ERROR:

New SCOMManagementGroupConnection Fail: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

While troubleshooting I found out that PowerShell uses TLS 1.0 as default, and the Splunk web services was configured to use TLS 1.2. I added the following line to \Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-scom\bin\scom_command_loader.ps1 at line 9 and it fixed the problem.

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

This could also be fixed by adding the line to the PowerShell profile of the service user set up to run the Splunkd service.

This was a LAB environment running on Windows Server 2016 and Splunk 6.6.2

I'm unsure if this is a bug in the Add-on or my environment?

0 Karma

dsoni_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This problem going to fixed as a part of 2.2.0 development and if you are facing the issue with data collection then possible work around to resolve this issue quickly is:

Add this highlighted line below [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::ServerCertificateValidationCallback = { $true } [ Line no: 671] in scom_command_loader.ps1

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol -bor [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls11 -bor [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

Also add it over here in this function in scom_command_loader.ps1 [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::ServerCertificateValidationCallback = { $true } [ below line No: 734]

[Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol -bor [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls11 -bor [Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12

This would resolve your issue of data collection.

hettervik
Builder

I'm getting the same error message as you. Thank you for posting a possible fix to this problem! Did you ever found out if this is a bug in the TA or if it's the environment that should be sat to use TLS 1.2 globally?

0 Karma

nirmalrajneupan
Explorer

Hello Hettervi

The OP posts the solution to the issue as well

While troubleshooting I found out that PowerShell uses TLS 1.0 as default, and the Splunk web services was configured to use TLS 1.2. I added the following line to \Splunk\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_microsoft-scom\bin\scom_command_loader.ps1 at line 9 and it fixed the problem.

Adding the line above fixed the issue for me.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...