All Apps and Add-ons

Monitoring of Java Virtual Machines with JMX: Why am I getting "Authentication failed: the server presented no authentication mechanisms"?

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

I'm are trying to connect to a remote machine using JMX. However we are getting the following error:

08-25-2015 17:27:16.216 +0100 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py" host=host1, jmxServiceURL=service:jmx:remoting-jmx://host1:4447, jmxport=4447, jvmDescription=stackTeam, processID=0,stanza=jmx://host1,systemErrorMessage="Authentication failed: the server presented no authentication mechanisms"

From the machine perspective everything is configured to be able to connect via JMX remotely. I can connect to the machine using JVisualVm, for example, executing the following command:

"C: \ Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_45\bin\jvisualvm.exe" -cp:a c:\opt\jboss-eap\bin\client\jboss-client.jar.

I already placed the jar's in the /bin/lib because I was getting "protocol not supported" error.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
1 Solution

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

this is embarrassing... i had a typo in the password and since the error was "the server presented no authentication mechanisms" i was focusing in the jboss server and networks issues rather than the config file in splunk. Thank you Damien

------------

View solution in original post

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

this is embarrassing... i had a typo in the password and since the error was "the server presented no authentication mechanisms" i was focusing in the jboss server and networks issues rather than the config file in splunk. Thank you Damien

------------

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

what does your config.xml file look like ?

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

i'm using the config.xml that comes with the app. the only thing i changed was this:

<jmxserver host="host1" jvmDescription="stackTeam" jmxport="4447" jmxuser="redacted" jmxpass="redacted" jmxServiceURL="service:jmx:remoting-jmx://host1:4447">
------------
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

try removing jmxuser="redacted" jmxpass="redacted" from your config

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Still getting the same error message.
The indexer and the source server are in different vlans and i opened the port 4447.
Are there other ports i need to have open i order to let splunk connect? I'm sure the connection atributes are right because we have java mission control using the the same service url, port, user and pass.

------------
0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Additional info
These are the new jars i placed in /bin/lib/

jboss-as-cli-7.5.0.Final-redhat-17.jar
jboss-as-controller-client-7.5.0.Final-redhat-17.jar
jboss-as-protocol-7.5.0.Final-redhat-17.jar
jboss-client.jar
jboss-dmr-1.2.1.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-logging-3.1.4.GA-redhat-2.jar
jboss-marshalling-1.4.10.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-marshalling-river-1.4.10.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-remote-naming-1.0.10.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-remoting-3.3.4.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-sasl-1.0.5.Final-redhat-1.jar
jboss-threads-2.1.2.Final-redhat-1.jar
remoting-jmx-1.1.3.Final-redhat-2.jar
staxmapper-1.1.0.Final-redhat-2.jar
xnio-api-3.0.12.GA-redhat-1.jar
xnio-nio-3.0.12.GA-redhat-1.jar
------------
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Can you run Mission Control from the same host as the Splunk server and connect successfully to the remote JVM ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...