All Apps and Add-ons

Issue with TA-connectivity (ping) - Resolution found

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I installed TA-connectivity and after turning on the inputs I received the following error in splunkd.log:

07-29-2016 16:10:07.410 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python D:\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-connectivity\bin\ping.py" ERROR local variable 'status' referenced before assignment

After looking into the python script "TA-connectivity/bin/connectivity_lib/pinger.py", I observed that the value "status" was not set, like the other variables. The resolution to this is to add status=''in the "def pingtest(dstaddr)" call, see example below:

def pingtest(dstaddr):
timenow = strftime("%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")
dstaddr = dstaddr.rstrip('\r\n')
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''
if platform.system() == 'Windows':

Once I restarted Splunk, the expected pings were working to each host listed in my hostfile.txt file.

Hope this helps others that encounter this issue...
Jamie Bailey

0 Karma
1 Solution

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

After looking into the python script "TA-connectivity/bin/connectivity_lib/pinger.py", I observed that the value "status" was not set, like the other variables. The resolution to this is to add status=''in the "def pingtest(dstaddr)" call, see example below:

def pingtest(dstaddr):
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''

Once I restarted Splunk, the expected pings were working to each host listed in my hostfile.txt file.

Jamie Bailey

View solution in original post

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

def pingtest(dstaddr):
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''

Jamie Bailey

seunomosowon
Communicator

Thanks Jamie. Been meaning to test this extensively in Windows. Should update the app over the weekend with any other fixes I find.

Cheers

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @jbailey_splunk

Thanks for sharing this Q&A with the rest of the Splunk community! Can you actually post the solution as a formal answer in the "Enter your answer here..." box below? Then once it's posted, click "Accept" directly below the answer to resolve the post. Otherwise, this question will float around Answers appearing as having no solution in the list of questions.

Cheers

Patrick

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...