All Apps and Add-ons

Issue with TA-connectivity (ping) - Resolution found

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I installed TA-connectivity and after turning on the inputs I received the following error in splunkd.log:

07-29-2016 16:10:07.410 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python D:\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-connectivity\bin\ping.py" ERROR local variable 'status' referenced before assignment

After looking into the python script "TA-connectivity/bin/connectivity_lib/pinger.py", I observed that the value "status" was not set, like the other variables. The resolution to this is to add status=''in the "def pingtest(dstaddr)" call, see example below:

def pingtest(dstaddr):
timenow = strftime("%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")
dstaddr = dstaddr.rstrip('\r\n')
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''
if platform.system() == 'Windows':

Once I restarted Splunk, the expected pings were working to each host listed in my hostfile.txt file.

Hope this helps others that encounter this issue...
Jamie Bailey

0 Karma
1 Solution

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

After looking into the python script "TA-connectivity/bin/connectivity_lib/pinger.py", I observed that the value "status" was not set, like the other variables. The resolution to this is to add status=''in the "def pingtest(dstaddr)" call, see example below:

def pingtest(dstaddr):
timenow = strftime("%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")
dstaddr = dstaddr.rstrip('\r\n')
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''
if platform.system() == 'Windows':

Once I restarted Splunk, the expected pings were working to each host listed in my hostfile.txt file.

Hope this helps others that encounter this issue...
Jamie Bailey

View solution in original post

jbailey_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

After looking into the python script "TA-connectivity/bin/connectivity_lib/pinger.py", I observed that the value "status" was not set, like the other variables. The resolution to this is to add status=''in the "def pingtest(dstaddr)" call, see example below:

def pingtest(dstaddr):
timenow = strftime("%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")
dstaddr = dstaddr.rstrip('\r\n')
trailer = ''
action=''
description=''
dst_ip=''
status=''
if platform.system() == 'Windows':

Once I restarted Splunk, the expected pings were working to each host listed in my hostfile.txt file.

Hope this helps others that encounter this issue...
Jamie Bailey

seunomosowon
Communicator

Thanks Jamie. Been meaning to test this extensively in Windows. Should update the app over the weekend with any other fixes I find.

Cheers

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @jbailey_splunk

Thanks for sharing this Q&A with the rest of the Splunk community! Can you actually post the solution as a formal answer in the "Enter your answer here..." box below? Then once it's posted, click "Accept" directly below the answer to resolve the post. Otherwise, this question will float around Answers appearing as having no solution in the list of questions.

Cheers

Patrick

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Synthetic Monitoring: Not your Grandma’s Polyester! Tech Talk: DevOps Edition

Register today and join TekStream on Tuesday, February 28 at 11am PT/2pm ET for a demonstration of Splunk ...

Instrumenting Java Websocket Messaging

Instrumenting Java Websocket MessagingThis article is a code-based discussion of passing OpenTelemetry trace ...

Announcing General Availability of Splunk Incident Intelligence!

Digital transformation is real! Across industries, companies big and small are going through rapid digital ...