All Apps and Add-ons

How does the SA_Syslog_collection app gather stats from UF's?

rpquinlan
Path Finder

The app says that it needs to be installed on the indexers and the search heads, but how is the app to gather information (and perform the ' netstat -stu ' command mentioned in the docu) from the UF's without it being installed there as well?

I must be missing something simple.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Having a quick look at the inputs, its been designed to run netstat on the indexers, not the forwarders.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Having a quick look at the inputs, its been designed to run netstat on the indexers, not the forwarders.

rpquinlan
Path Finder

That's how it appears to me as well, though the app's documentation talks about using syslog-ng on UF's and how it can gather additional metrics on the UF's.. Bummer.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I guess you cold configure the UF app to run the same script on the forwarders too?

0 Karma

rpquinlan
Path Finder

Hmmm.. have a CRON job run the script and output it to a file that the UF watches... That is an idea!

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I meant as a scripted input - then you can manage it from your deployment server, without having to resort to cron.

0 Karma

rpquinlan
Path Finder

Got it! That's a better idea, working on that now.

0 Karma

rpquinlan
Path Finder

Brilliant. That's working, thank you for the suggestion!
Note for anyone else who may have a Windows deployment server and a *nix UF - you'll have to check/change the file permissions / owner on the .sh file after deployment,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...