All Apps and Add-ons

Checkpoint Add-on for Check Point OPSEC LEA: Why is the "Manage Connections" page loading forever?

gfreitas
Builder

I am installing a fresh Splunk 6.3.3 as heavy forwarder and installing the Splunk Add-on for CheckPoint OPSEC LEA on a Linux RedHat machine.

I just installed the add-on and all requirements listed in the app page, but when I open the app, it shows "Manage Connection" and a loading icon that never stops. If I click on "New Connection" button, it also do not open anything. Follow a screenshot of the loading page:

alt text

Has anyone have seen this problem before?

I saw this guy who had the same issue, but his solution did not solve my problem: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/329369/splunk-add-on-for-check-point-opsec-lea-connection.html.

1 Solution

sha1020
Explorer

Hi,

I had the same problem and found out that, in version 3.1.0, the app expects to be installed on an indexer and therefore looks for a list of search peers via the REST API. My workaround was to change the file remote.py to use localhost if no search peers can be found:

--- Splunk_TA_opseclea_linux22/appserver/controllers/remote.py.orig     2015-11-25 13:43:21.000000000 +0100
+++ Splunk_TA_opseclea_linux22/appserver/controllers/remote.py  2015-11-25 16:04:14.000000000 +0100
@@ -43,11 +43,17 @@
         controllers.BaseController.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
         self.peer_cache = PeerCache(cache_age=60)

def get_all_peers(self, sessionKey):
-        peers = en.getEntities("search/distributed/peers", sessionKey=sessionKey)
+        try:
+            peers = en.getEntities("search/distributed/peers", sessionKey=sessionKey)
+        except:
+            filtered_hosts = [ { "status": "available", "peer": "localhost" } ]
+            return filtered_hosts
+
+
         peerHosts = []
         server_info_path = "/services/server/info"

for name in peers:
             peer = peers[name]

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

rusty009
Path Finder

Just for future reference - I had the same issue, none of the above solutions seemed to work but when troubleshooting, I found it was an issue with DNS on my server rather than a splunk related issue. After I fixed my DNS resolution everything worked perfectly.

0 Karma

hjauch_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you by chance have FIPSs mode enabled? There is a known issue with FIPs mode.

OPSEC-398 When FIPs is enabled in a distributed Spunk Enterprise environment, the Manage Connections page cannot be accessed on the search head, even after restarting the Splunk platform.

0 Karma

sha1020
Explorer

FIPS mode ist not enabled.

The app is also not installed on a search head, but on a forwarder.

0 Karma

sha1020
Explorer

Hi,

I had the same problem and found out that, in version 3.1.0, the app expects to be installed on an indexer and therefore looks for a list of search peers via the REST API. My workaround was to change the file remote.py to use localhost if no search peers can be found:

--- Splunk_TA_opseclea_linux22/appserver/controllers/remote.py.orig     2015-11-25 13:43:21.000000000 +0100
+++ Splunk_TA_opseclea_linux22/appserver/controllers/remote.py  2015-11-25 16:04:14.000000000 +0100
@@ -43,11 +43,17 @@
         controllers.BaseController.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
         self.peer_cache = PeerCache(cache_age=60)

def get_all_peers(self, sessionKey):
-        peers = en.getEntities("search/distributed/peers", sessionKey=sessionKey)
+        try:
+            peers = en.getEntities("search/distributed/peers", sessionKey=sessionKey)
+        except:
+            filtered_hosts = [ { "status": "available", "peer": "localhost" } ]
+            return filtered_hosts
+
+
         peerHosts = []
         server_info_path = "/services/server/info"

for name in peers:
             peer = peers[name]

I hope this helps.

kmanson
Path Finder

Thanks it worked for me too, Splunk should really update the app to fix this issue, if they want users to move to latest versions their supported apps should be compatible.

0 Karma

wmotley
Engager

Data is being indexed, but no update to the GUI for the connections.

0 Karma

neelamsantosh
Path Finder

Still same, Any other workarounds..

0 Karma

ddearmond_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you check to see if data was being indexed after the workaround? When I applied the workaround the GUI didn't change but data started flowing again.

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Hi sha1020, I'm going to try this. Thanks!

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

It worked, thanks!

0 Karma

tsweet_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you add the two libraries listed here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/OPSEC-LEA/latest/Install/Systemrequirements

GNU C library (glibc.i686 32-bit). Install using yum install glibc.i686
PAM shared libraries (pam.i686 32-bit). Install using yum install pam.i686

Last time i had an issue with that app it was I forgot to add these.

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Yes, I did install both. Follow the outputs of the commands:

[root@vl088 ~] yum list installed | grep glibc
glibc.i686 2.12-1.166.e16_7.3 @rhel-6-server-rpms
glibc.x86_64 2.12-1.166.e16_7.3 @rhel-6-server-rpms
glib-common.x86_64 2.12-1.166.e16_7.3 @rhel-6-server-rpms

[root@vl088 ~] yum list installed | grep pam
fprintd-pam.x86_64 0.1-22.git04fd09cfa.e16
pam.i686 1.1.1-20.e16_7.1 @rhel-6-server-rpms
pam.x86_64 1.1.1-20.e16_7.1 @rhel-6-server-rpms
pam_passwdqc.x86_64 1.10.5-8.e16 @anaconda-RedHatEnterpriseLinux-2015-7020259.x86_64/6.7

0 Karma

afieffe_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello,
Which licence are you using on your heavy forwarder ?

Regards

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

I'm using forwarder license

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...