All Apps and Add-ons

Cannot Connect to Database - Splunk DB Connect

rogue_carrot
Communicator

Hello Team Splunk,

I am trying to use the Splunk DB Connect plug-in: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2686/#/details. I have configured the JRE, the JAR for the JDBC connection (Figure 1), the identity with the username and password for the connection. However on the screen where I test the connection I always receive an I/O error, Figure 2. So this tells me that the connection is not working. 😕

Is there some type of log I can check to try and pinpoint what is going wrong? I thought maybe there was a firewall issue but I can ping the computer the database is on. I thought the issue was with the JRE but I uninstalled the openjdk JRE from the operating system and installed one from Oracle dot com. I thought maybe the issue was with the "Connection Type" on the "New Connection" screen but the connection fails whether I specify "Oracle" or "Oracle Service".

What am I doing wrong?

Thank-you for reading this.

Regards,

rogue_carrot

alt text
Figure 1: JDBC URL Settings

alt text
Figure 2: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check your firewalls as possible timeout causes.

Splunk monitors its own logs by default so you shouldn't need to set up anything.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check your firewalls as possible timeout causes.

Splunk monitors its own logs by default so you shouldn't need to set up anything.

---

rogue_carrot
Communicator

Yes, I need to fill out a firewall request form in my organization. This is a firewall issue indeed. Thank-you for the help with this Rich.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rogue_carrot If your problem is resolved, please accept the answer to help future readers.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

DB Connect has its own set of log files. Search "index=_internal sourcetype=dbx*".

Ping is not a good indication of the ability to connect to a service. Try using telnet or curl as they let you specify a port as well as an address.

Make sure the Oracle version is supported by DB Connect.

---
0 Karma

rogue_carrot
Communicator

Hello Rich!

Thank-you sir for the reply. I noticed this Linux machine does not have the telnet program so I am using the curl program. I received a time out connection error when trying to curl to this database server. 😕 Thank-you for the idea on how to trouble shoot this problem with the curl program. Now if I could figure out why there is a timeout error.

Also, where or how would I set up the logging on this enterprise version of Splunk to search for the logs you are writing about with, "index=_internal sourcetype=dbx*"?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...