Alerting

Create Splunk alerts for cron jobs

gpunjabi

I want to create a Splunk alert for Cron job it will trigger an alert when cron job is not successful or not ran? Any one can help me on this.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is twice you've asked me if what you've done is correct. As I said last time, if you get the results you want then the search is correct.

I did not see any sample images.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gpunjabi

Okay Rich,
Here I need to write one more query with no logs condition.
Actually It For the full index jobs we can dramatically simplify the query. Since the job only runs once a day, we just need a simple query (something like sourcetype=hybris_console "full-wcpindex*-cronjob" ) that runs once a day, and alerts if there are no logs. The gold plated solution would be one query that looks for all of the jobs and alerts if any of them are 0.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Finding something that is not there can be challenging, but can be done. It's probably best done in a separate thread.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is the "skipped search" problem. Configure a Monitoring Console and run the Health Checks. Look at the results of the Skipped Searches one. You can steal this search and use it as an alert.

0 Karma

gpunjabi

Hi Woodcock,

Can you please help me in writing a query of above condition I have mentioned in Burwell Comments.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I cannot because you did not answer her VERY IMPORTANT question. What do you mean exactly by cron job is not successful? Are you talking about looking at splunk saved searches (which are scheduled with cron job syntax)? Or are you talking about actual cron jobs running on a *NIX server? If the former, you already have the answers. If the latter, start with what @richgalloway said in his answer. But first: answer the question!

0 Karma

gpunjabi

Hi Woodcock,

Apologies for the same, I thought I am following with Rich and he was answering my query as well. I think I have answered every question that Rich has asked.
Now related to your quest basically Woodcock, Cron job is running on server which is neither a splunk saved search and not .NIX , Yeah it is trues the server is linux but It is realted to Hybris cron job which runs everyday and will produce some logs in the /opt/sap/hybris/logs/console.log and I need to make my search if the job failed it should trigger an alert.

So I Created a query that seems to be very complex the same I was same discussing with Rich as well. I need one more query which should be very sample. if it produce no logs related to cronjob it should trigger an alert. Even I have discussed with Rich as well there.

and The doubt I was following with @richgalloway was little different so I asked you guys with different query here.

Also I would be very thankful to @richgalloway for his continuous response. I would really appreciate your help @richgalloway.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gpunjabi

Are you asking about scheduled jobs in Splunk and finding out the status?

If so..

index=_internal source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/scheduler.log" status!=delegated* status!=success
| stats count by savedsearch_name,status

Will show you failed scheduled jobs.

If you have a search head cluster with a deployer, you can get a lot more information about scheduled jobs including the reason for your jobs, I use the Monitoring Console. I wrote about using it here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/514181/skipped-searches-on-shc.html

You can find skipped jobs, long running jobs etc.

0 Karma

gpunjabi

Hi Burwell,

Sorry I didn't answer your question, apologies for the same I haven't clearly described my question, I thought Rich was following up,

So my question was related cron job is running on server which is neither a splunk saved search and not .NIX server , It is true the server is linux but It is realted to Hybris cron job which runs everyday and will produce some logs in the /opt/sap/hybris/logs/console.log and I need to make my search as if the job failed it should trigger an alert.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...