Alerting

Alert using calendar arithmetic

Branden
Builder

Hi. We a Dashboard that informs us of the date a service account password was changed/reset. Passwords need to be reset no later than every 700 days, but we'd like Splunk to alert us 6 months prior to that deadline.

Our date field looks like this:

2019-11-15T15:27:42.416732Z

From that date, we need to alert when that account password is 520 days old (700 days minus 6 months/180 days). So in the above example, we need to receive an alert on April 18, 2021, to remind us to schedule a password reset for that account.

We are getting the account name date of the last password set from Active Directory, in case that matters.

In other words, is there a way to do "Calendar arithmetic" in Splunk? I have no idea where to even begin with this.

Thank you!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Timestamp math is easy. The trick is to convert the timestamp into integer (epoch) form first.

... | eval epoch=strptime(accountPassword, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%5N%Z")
| eval alertEpoch=epoch + (86400 * 520)
| eval alertTime = strftime(alertEpoch, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%5N%Z")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Branden
Builder

I can actually calculate the epoch time six months in the future from the date of the password set:

| eval pwDate=strptime(pwdLastSet,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | eval sixMonthsAhead=relative_time(pwDate, "+520d@d") | table cn, pwdLastSet, sixMonthsAhead

But I can't seem to get an alert to trigger once that date arrives...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...