Splunk Search

return command works only with numeric values​​?

jrodriguezap
Contributor

Hi
I try to return a string value and does not recognize, and when return a numeric value if recognized. No way to return the string?
My Search is:

host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" 
    | eval UserSession=[ search host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:System" | head 1 | return $Session]

But does not return a value, the return value is Session="a0291da-2039"

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tom_frotscher
Builder

With the "$" sign in front, your return value should be a0291da-2039. But i think this is not working with the eval. Not sure if this is the answer, but can you try this:

host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" | eval UserSession=[ search host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:System" | head 1 | eval temp_session="\"".Session."\"" | return $temp_session]

View solution in original post

musskopf
Builder

I don't think it's possible. The closest I got was using the "map" command, which is basically a looping, "for each result do that...". Have a look on the documentation, might be useful for you.

0 Karma

jrodriguezap
Contributor

is this possible? or any other way?

0 Karma

jrodriguezap
Contributor

A question please.
You can send a parameter from the main search to return search?
I need to put a condition to return value, something like this:

index=main field_MAIN=val1 | eval test=[ search index=other_index | where field_SUB=field_MAIN | head 1 | eval fieldA="\""+fieldA+"\"" | return $fieldA]
0 Karma

jrodriguezap
Contributor

It is true musskopf.
I had not realized that the quotes were needed. @tom_frotscher's was quite right.
Sorry and thank you very much

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Seems to be a bug, the workaround is to add the quotes as you did, it worked for me:

index=main | eval test=[ search index=other_index | head 1 | eval fieldA="\""+fieldA+"\"" | return $fieldA]

jrodriguezap
Contributor

Hi
someone will this ever happened? or be a bug report should support? 😞

jrodriguezap
Contributor

I tried it with another indexer, and I like it.
When I run only

search host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:System" | head 1 | eval temp_session="\"".Session."\"" | return $temp_session

I returns the value

**temp_session**
  a0291da-2039

but when I run it with Eval, the field UserSession does not get the value
If it's weird.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

for returning multiple values use makemv and then return the whole value then divide the multivalued field.

0 Karma

aweitzman
Motivator

That's weird: @tom_frotscher's solution totally worked for me.

(As an aside - you can leave out the head 1 clause in the subsearch - by using the return function the head 1 is implied.)

I agree, it seems strange that you have to do the additional eval processing to get it to work with string values being returned, but it does seem to work correctly.

0 Karma

jrodriguezap
Contributor

Thanks tom_frotscher
I gave the eval, but nothing, not to return the string value, only numeric, is that normal?

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

With the "$" sign in front, your return value should be a0291da-2039. But i think this is not working with the eval. Not sure if this is the answer, but can you try this:

host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:Application" | eval UserSession=[ search host=IMG6460B sourcetype="WinEventLog:System" | head 1 | eval temp_session="\"".Session."\"" | return $temp_session]
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...