Splunk Search

calculated fields with strptime

Bastelhoff
Path Finder

Hey there,

I have a _raw where I am extracting a timestamp. But this is in a bad format. So I wanted to have a "calculated field" (via the splunk interface option, not in the conf to which I dont have access). But while other calculated fields seem to work.
basically I have a field called "exTimeString". I want to create a calculated field exTimeStamp What I put into the eval field is:
strptime(exTimeString,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Is it because of the strptime? Ormaybe the % characters cause issues here?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is not working (because it looks like you have strptime correct)?

| eval exTimeStamp=strptime(exTimeString,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

Can you share a sample event and how you have extracted exTimeString from it?

0 Karma

Bastelhoff
Path Finder

Yeah, this eval works when I just convert the extracted field at runtime. But I'd like to have it calculated via "Calculated Fields" (as in Settings->Fields->Calculated Fields)

The original extraction is:
\"summary\"\:\"\{.*?\"timestamp\\\"\:\\\"(?<exTimeString>.*?)\\\".*?\}

This then correctly generates a field exTimeString with content like 
2021-04-23T17:27:21.000Z

If I do a search with
index=myIndex 
|table exTimeString
| eval exTimeStamp=strptime(exTimeString,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

that also works and returns a valid timstamp (which for example I could use as _time in timecharts)

but if I put 
strptime(exTimeString,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

into calculated fields instead, it does not work. The calculated field just doesnt show up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...