Splunk Search

Why is my stats search on 2 indexes not returning fields from one index?

lohit
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have 2 indexes:
index="abc" with fields uri, a, b, c
and
index="xyz" with fields url, x, y, z

Now the fields url and uri have the same values in both indexes, but this is just a change in the field name.

I want to search both the indexes for all fields a, b, c, x, y, z by url

index="abc" or index="xyz" | eval url=uri | stats values(a),values(b), values(x), values(y) by url

Problem is it is only showing the fields a, b and not x, y in stats results.

any help !!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

hi lohit,
try do this

create a new_index to collect all the data of the two indexes and then execute your request on this new_index as follow.

index="abc" OR index="xyz" |table a b c uri x y  z url |collect index=new_index

index=new_index  |stats values(a), values(b), values(x),values(y) by url

OR

index="abc" OR index="xyz" |table a b uri x y url |collect index=new_index

index=new_index |eval url=coalesce(url,uri) |stats values(a), values(b),  values(x), values(y) by url

try and let me know.

0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi give a try to this:

index = "abc" or index = "xyz" | eval url_uri=mvzip(url,uri) |mvexpand url_uri | stats values ( url_uri) by url

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi lohit
Try this search

index="abc"  |rename uri as url |table a b c url|appendcols[search index="xyz"  |table x y z url ]  | stats values(a),values(b), values(x), values(y) by url
0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

values x, y are not coming with this.

0 Karma

fdi01
Motivator

try like this:

index="abc" | join url [ search index="xyz" | rename uri as url |stats values(*) as * by url ] | stats values(*)  as  *  by url

or

index=abc OR index=xyz| rename uri as url  | stats values(*)  as list_of_* by url
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Duplicate question from this one: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/229345/combine-results-from-2-searches-with-a-common-fiel.html

and btw the same answers were provided in here 😉

To me, this sounds like there is either no url field or no y & x field ......

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

MuS, there is all these fields

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

can you provide two of those events in question? Please remove any sensitive data before!

0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

hi,
try like this

index="abc" or index="xyz" |eval new_field=coalesce(url,uri) |stats values(a),values(b), values(x), values(y) by new_field
0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

where will not work.. url and uri are different fields with same values across both indexes.

0 Karma

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

i proposed the new answers, try and let me know
see above

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

it is giving field from one index only

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

i got it working with join but it too slow

index="abc" |eval agt=cs_us| join url [ search index="xyz" | eval url=uri |stats values(a) as a,values(s) as s, by url | fields a,s,url] | stats values(agt) values(a),values(s) by url

with simple stats

index=abc OR index=xyz | eval test=coalesce(url, uri)| stats values(a),values(b) by test

this is only returning values of 'a'. column with values 'b' is coming empty.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no "b" in your join search, is that it?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

that is a typo, it is equivalent to s only.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, if these two searches both work:

index=abc | stats values(a) values(b) by url

and

index=xyz | stats values(x) values(y) by uri

then this search has to do it:

index=abc OR index=xyz | eval url=coalesce(url, uri) | stats values(a) values (b) values(x) values(y) by url

Of course, if the first search only returns results for two urls (url_1 and url_2) and the second also for two (url_1 and url_3), then the third search will give you three results: one with values for a, b, x and y for url_1, one with a and b for url_2 and one with x and y for url_3. And if either a or b is missing in one of the original results, it won't be in the third search either.

lohit
Path Finder

exactly my problem, for the third search as mentioned i just want the first result and in that only one index fields are coming.

Individual searches are working fine over respective indexes.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

another problem which i have figured out is that logs in both the index have some time lag and i am running the search for last 60 minutes, so the situation is like this

event L happens in index="abc" at time 'q' and having fields a,b,url
event M happens in index="xyz" at time 'p' and having fields x,y,uri

So there might be case when url from index="abc" donot exist in index="xyz" for last 60 minuts but if i increase it to say 24 hours then the value is showing .

Note url and uri have same values but different field name but their timestamp is different.

now what i want is a search which can give output with columns like

url(both index) a b x y

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I (and I believe everyone else here) understand what you want. The search we proposed is exactly what you need, but it seems there are other problems, the time difference for example. Those are not things we can help you with if you don't post your data (you can anonymize it).

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do the individual searches deliver values for all fields, i.e. do the results from index abc always have fields a and b and have exactly the same url as those from index xyz? If the answer is yes, then the search has to work. As MuS requested, can you post an event from index abc and one from index xyz?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...