Splunk Search

Why are there missing days in the results of my "Month to date" chart search?

_gkollias
Builder

I have a search where I want to calculate total transaction volumes over time by transaction type. I'm populating results, but I notice there are some days missing. Here is a screen shot:

http://screencast.com/t/zNVURLk8Je 

Here is the search I am using:

index=foo sourcetype=bar
| bucket span=1d _time
| dedup id
| stats count as volume, latest(transaction_type ) as transaction_type by djarfrrw, _time
| eval _time=strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y")
| chart max(volume) over transaction_type by _time usenull=f useother=f

Is there anything in the search that might be causing the missing days?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the issue is persisting, I would try writing the search another way to leverage the timechart command. If this works out for you, its more of a native approach and less error-prone than extract the date from the time field. Plus it probably performs faster since its less commands:

index=foo sourcetype=bar id=*
 | dedup id
 | timechart span=1d count as volume, latest(transaction_type ) as transaction_type by djarfrrw

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the issue is persisting, I would try writing the search another way to leverage the timechart command. If this works out for you, its more of a native approach and less error-prone than extract the date from the time field. Plus it probably performs faster since its less commands:

index=foo sourcetype=bar id=*
 | dedup id
 | timechart span=1d count as volume, latest(transaction_type ) as transaction_type by djarfrrw

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you verified there are events on those days?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

_gkollias
Builder

yeah...so I removed usenull/other=f and got the daily counts....I guess chart isn't as "smart" as timechart?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So do you still have missing dates OR it's resolved?

0 Karma

_gkollias
Builder

I still see the issue...If i run the search in 7 day increments things look ok...when I use Month to Date things are not populating correctly...not quite sure why.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...