Splunk Search

Regular expression with lookup

stang1234

Blockquote

I have to build a table that lists all the service names that are in particular format for e.g "ABC-*.-<>", Is this possible??

I actually tried by building a regular expression like this index=my_index sourcetype=my_source | regex name = "^ABC-.*-(Name1|Name2|Name3|Name4|....Name600) but I am getting "Regex: regular expression too large error" Any other way of solving this??

Blockquote

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this.

index=my_index sourcetype=my_source name = "ABC*" | rex field=name "^ABC-.*-(?<subname>.*)" | lookup names.csv name-field-in-lookup-file as subname | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this.

index=my_index sourcetype=my_source name = "ABC*" | rex field=name "^ABC-.*-(?<subname>.*)" | lookup names.csv name-field-in-lookup-file as subname | ...
---
0 Karma

stang1234

Fantastic, that worked!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Karma

stang1234

All 600 start with a prefix like “ENV” and rest are random. I did create a lookup with these 600.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is there a pattern to the service name endings or are they 600 random strings?
Regex is better suited to validating data format than content. IOW, use rex to determine if a string is a potential service name and extract the "Name*" part. Then use a lookup to validate the Name against a list of known names.

---
0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you please show some example data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...