Splunk Search

Include zero in the average

CarmineCalo
Path Finder

Splunkers!

I'm not able to solve a strange issue...

Basically, the stats avg() is omitting values in the calculation.

Code is the following:

<<search>>

| fillnull Incident_Duration,Unavailabilty_Month value=0
| stats avg(Incident_Duration) as Incident_Avg, avg(Unavailabilty_Month) as Unavailabilty_Avg by ReqMonthAva, AppID

So, null value are transformed into 0 in the table resulting from the previous search, but avg function is not considering them while processing Incident_Avg and Unavailabilty_Avg

Seems to me very strange... how can i solve?

Tks in advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

can you try

<<search>>

| fillnull
 | stats avg(Incident_Duration) as Incident_Avg, avg(Unavailabilty_Month) as Unavailabilty_Avg by ReqMonthAva, AppID

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

can you try:

..|eval Incident_Duration=tonumber(Incident_Duration), Unavailabilty_Month=tonumber(Unavailabilty_Month)
 | fillnull Incident_Duration,Unavailabilty_Month value=0

i think it might be that your values are strings and not numbers. using this runanywhere command: |makeresults|eval data=" ,2,1,4,6"|makemv delim="," data|mvexpand data|eval with_zero=tonumber(data)|fillnull with_zero value=0|stats avg(data) avg(with_zero), the values are different.

0 Karma

CarmineCalo
Path Finder

See above, the problem was related to <> values in ReqMonthAva.

Tks!
Carmine

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

can you try

<<search>>

| fillnull
0 Karma

CarmineCalo
Path Finder

It works!

I found the root problem... basically RegMonthAva had some <> value (corresponding with <> values for Unavailability_month and Incident_Duration).

With | fillnull i solve the problem.

Tks!

Carmine

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

I am glad that my solution helped you to get the desired results. I am converting my comment to an answer. Accept/upvote it if this is an answer to your question!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...