Splunk Search

How would I look for dashboards/alerts not in use?

npanda04

Hi Team ,

Has anyone worked on finding out unused dashboards or alerts in Splunk .

Can you please assist me .

Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'd think there'd be a dashboard for this similar to the one for Orphaned KOs, but there isn't.

The solution is to create your own, first by building a list of all dashboards or alerts using a rest command.

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views splunk_server=local ```List all dashboards```

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches splunk_server=local | search alert_type!="always" ``` List all alerts ```

Then crawl the access logs (index=_internal source=*access.log) sufficiently far back (up to 30 days) to find which dashboards or alerts where accessed.  Then use a subsearch to find the difference between  that and the list of all dashboards/alerts.

| rest splunk_server=local /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views | search NOT [index=_internal source=*access.log <<SPL to find the dashboard name>> | dedup <<dashboard name>> ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

npanda04

Thanks for your response @richgalloway . Let me try this out and check 🙂

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Probably you need to extend retention period for _internal log from it’s default? Otherwise time period for searching from access.logs are quite short.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...