Splunk Search

How to limit the number of bars in a bar graph

brajaram
Communicator

I have a query that produces a bar graph of the number of hits in a page. I want to limit this to the top 5-10 values, but I can't seem to get either the limit or top function to do what I need. What am I missing here?

index= sourcetype=source= pageURL=< dynamic field input >| stats count as PageHit by uniqueID | stats count as UserCount by PageHit | sort PageHit

Adding limit or top cannot seem to get the same graph as the full query produces, and just removes the small values.

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

Doing | sort PageHit will, by default, sort from lowest values to highest values. If you want the top five, try this:

index= sourcetype=source= pageURL=< dynamic field input >
| stats count as PageHit by uniqueID 
| stats count as UserCount by PageHit 
| sort -PageHit
| head 5

By using | sort -PageHit instead, you will reverse the sorting order, and then |head 5 will limit to the first five items.

View solution in original post

elliotproebstel
Champion

Doing | sort PageHit will, by default, sort from lowest values to highest values. If you want the top five, try this:

index= sourcetype=source= pageURL=< dynamic field input >
| stats count as PageHit by uniqueID 
| stats count as UserCount by PageHit 
| sort -PageHit
| head 5

By using | sort -PageHit instead, you will reverse the sorting order, and then |head 5 will limit to the first five items.

brajaram
Communicator

Thanks! I didn't even know head was a solution, worked fine for me.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@elliotproebstel - That will work fine, but this is more succinct...

| sort 5 - PageHit

elliotproebstel
Champion

Ohh, didn't realize that was an option! Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...