Splunk Search

How to get dynamic source name from a request?

batham
Explorer

Hi Folks ,

I am new to splunk and trying to get dynamic source value from the response, here is my query:  

index="itestData" AND source="/opt/ABC/DEF/GHI/KLM/LOG*" AND "error"

Please note that * after LOG is a dynamic value (like LOG-A.log , LOG-B.log, LOG-C.log) and there are at least 70 servers like this, when i get any error i want to know from which log this error is coming (A or B or C and so on) .

Let me know if there is any other way to get this (i do not want to individually put the name of sources as servers go up and down )

Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use rex to extract the server name from the source, i.e.

| rex field=source ".*LOG-(?<server>.*)"

That will give you a new field name called 'server' - note it captures everything in the source field following LOG-

Then you can do whatever you want with that new field.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you look at the output of that search you should see 'host=', 'source=', and 'sourcetype=' values under each returned event.  Those values are exact, without wildcards.  You can can include the source field in the output using the table command.

index="itestData" AND source="/opt/ABC/DEF/GHI/KLM/LOG*" AND "error"
| table source
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...