Splunk Search

How to create a case statement with NOT LIKE option?

zacksoft
Contributor
| eval usage=case(like(_raw,"%FirstClass%"),"A_Grade",like(_raw,"%SecondClass%"),"B_Grade",like(_raw,"%ThirdClass%"),"C_Grade")

My question is, in the above statement when I draw a pie chart that gives me A, B, C_Grade. However I want to know all the failed student in the chart as well.
My _raw contains all the events i.e. all three grades and the failed student as well.
The logic to find that is, "If the _raw doesn't contain the string 'FirstClass' or 'SecondClass' or 'ThirdClass' , then whatever remaining in _raw is considered as 'Failed'. How do I implement this logic using case?

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@zacksoft, you can use searchmatch() to find pattern in raw events (ideally you should create field extractions).
As per the question you have case() conditions to match A, B and C grades and everything else is supposed to be considered as Failed. So, you can use true() or 1==1 condition in the case() statement to defined unmatched events as Failed. Please try the following run anywhere search and confirm:

| makeresults 
| eval data="FirstClass;SecondClass;ThirdClass;Others"
| makemv data delim=";"
| mvexpand data
| rename data as _raw
| eval usage=case(searchmatch("FirstClass"),"A_Grade",searchmatch("SecondClass"),"B_Grade",searchmatch("ThirdClass"),"C_Grade",true(),"Failed")

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@zacksoft, you can use searchmatch() to find pattern in raw events (ideally you should create field extractions).
As per the question you have case() conditions to match A, B and C grades and everything else is supposed to be considered as Failed. So, you can use true() or 1==1 condition in the case() statement to defined unmatched events as Failed. Please try the following run anywhere search and confirm:

| makeresults 
| eval data="FirstClass;SecondClass;ThirdClass;Others"
| makemv data delim=";"
| mvexpand data
| rename data as _raw
| eval usage=case(searchmatch("FirstClass"),"A_Grade",searchmatch("SecondClass"),"B_Grade",searchmatch("ThirdClass"),"C_Grade",true(),"Failed")

zacksoft
Contributor

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you very much. The solution you provided does exactly what I wanted.

niketn
Legend

@zacksoft, glad it worked 🙂 Accept the answer to mark this question as answered!

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use this:

| eval usage=case(like(_raw,"%FirstClass%"),"A_Grade",like(_raw,"%SecondClass%"),"B_Grade",like(_raw,"%ThirdClass%"),"C_Grade", true(), "failed")

Case will take the first statement that is true, so the true() will be the last-case-fallback and return "failed" for all that did not meet any other criteria before.

zacksoft
Contributor

Thanks @xpac.
But it only returns me the events that are "failed". It won't return me A_Grade, B_Grade, C_Grade data !

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If that's the case, it's an issue with the rest of your query. Eval never filters anything out.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

That approach to put a true(),"failed" option at the end of the case statement is perfectly valid though. Can you post the exact code you tested with? Please post it as code (using the 101010 button).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...