Splunk Search

How to count valid and invalid requests at the same time?

vamshiverma
Explorer

Hello,

I want to display the total count of events and failed events count. In my case, it is determined by the field DETAIL

The following query does return the count by sourcetype "foo.bar.* and having error or exception.

index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar.* DETAIL ="*error*" OR DETAIL ="*exception*"| stats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Fail by sourcetype

SourcetypeFail
foo.bar.cat3
foo.bar.dog2

I tried to query using the following to determine total events for individual sourcetype and the fails for the same. But, the fails are always returned as zero.

index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar*| eventstats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Total by sourcetype | search index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar*  DETAIL ="*error*" OR DETAIL ="*exception*"|stats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Fail by src| fields sourcetype Total Fail

SourcetypeTotalFail
foo.bar.cat1530
foo.bar.dog1280

I tried using subsearch for the below query, but this one doesn't even work at all.

index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar*| eventstats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Total by sourcetype | stats count(eval( DETAIL ="*error*" OR DETAIL ="*exception*")) as fail values(Total) as Total by src | fields src Total fail

I appreciate your time and support!

Thanks!!

Labels (4)
0 Karma

askkawalkar
Path Finder
index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar*
| eval status=case(like(DETAIL,"%error%"),"Fail",like(DETAIL,"%exception%"),"Fail",true(), "Success") 
| stats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Total, sum(eval(status="Fail")) as Fail by sourcetype
| fields sourcetype Total Fail

Hi @vamshiverma , can you please try using  above. 

Regards,

Ankush

vamshiverma
Explorer

Thank you! @askkawalkar. It helped a lot. Awesome!😊

0 Karma

askkawalkar
Path Finder

@vamshiverma , Kindly accept answer for question, which is most helpful, So that others can use it if required. 

Regards, 

Ankush

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

@vamshiverma , can you try below and see if you getting the desired results

index=myindex sourcetype=foo.bar.*
|eval type=if(DETAIL="*error*" OR DETAIL="*exception*","Fail","other")
|stats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Total sum(eval(status="Fail")) as Fail by sourcetype

vamshiverma
Explorer

Thank you !! @Nisha18789  , it's working. 😀

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You may not need a subsearch.  Try this query.

| eval status=if(searchmatch(DETAIL ="*error*" OR DETAIL ="*exception*"), "Fail", "Success") 
| stats count(UNIQUE_ID) as Total, sum(eval(status="Fail")) as Fail by sourcetype
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry about that.  Try this alternative.

| eval status=case(searchmatch(DETAIL ="*error*"), "Fail", searchmatch(DETAIL ="*exception*"), "Fail", 1==1, "Success") 
---

vamshiverma
Explorer

@richgalloway   slick and smooth way to solve, thanks a lot!! 😊

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, then please click the "Accept as Solution" button to help future readers.

---
0 Karma

vamshiverma
Explorer

@richgalloway Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I tried to run the same query but it is throwing "Error in 'eval' command: The arguments to the 'searchmatch' function are invalid."  

sasd.PNG

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...