Splunk Search

EVAL with Sub search

Reddy_dash
Engager

Hi Friends,

If I execute below highlighted query I am getting the result where when I supply the result as search it is not returning any result

index=* env=X1 SourceName=*api* [search index=* env=X1 SourceName=*api* "Transaction" | eval "TraceID"=substr(Message,85,36) | table "TraceID"]

Please help on this.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you run the subsearch with | format appended to it then you'll see what is added on to the main search.  That has to make sense with your data to get resuits.  I suspect your subsearch is producing a result like this:

(TraceID="foo" OR TraceID="bar" OR TraceID="baz")

If the events do not contain a field called "TraceID" then no results will be found.

Try this subsearch, instead.

search index=* env=X1 SourceName=*api* "Transaction" | eval "TraceID"=substr(Message,85,36) | return 1000 $TraceID
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you run the subsearch with | format appended to it then you'll see what is added on to the main search.  That has to make sense with your data to get resuits.  I suspect your subsearch is producing a result like this:

(TraceID="foo" OR TraceID="bar" OR TraceID="baz")

If the events do not contain a field called "TraceID" then no results will be found.

Try this subsearch, instead.

search index=* env=X1 SourceName=*api* "Transaction" | eval "TraceID"=substr(Message,85,36) | return 1000 $TraceID
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...