Splunk Enterprise Security

Short-lived Account Detected - How to narrow down searches to certain accounts?

Jay1234
Explorer

Hi
Its my first week in the job and I am finding creating alerts is not the issue but how to create useful alerts is more of what I am looking for.

We turned on in the User Case Library - Access - Short-lived Account Detected  in user cases and its causing way to many alerts.
I wanted to narrow the field down to just admin accounts instead of the whole company.

Anybody got ideas on how to do this? Or point me the an article I where I can edit these types of searches?

In the correlation search I have got:
| tstats `summariesonly` count from datamodel=Change.All_Changes where nodename="All_Changes.Account_Management" (All_Changes.action="created" OR All_Changes.action="deleted") by _time,All_Changes.dest,All_Changes.user span=1s | `drop_dm_object_name("All_Changes")` | streamstats range(_time) as delta,sum(count) as count by user,dest window=2 global=f | where count>1 AND delta<`useraccount_minimal_lifetime` | `uptime2string(delta,timestr)` | table user, dest, delta, timestr

`wineventlog_security` EventCode=4698 OR EventCode=4699 | xmlkv Message | transaction Task_Name startswith=(EventCode=4698) endswith=(EventCode=4699) | eval short_lived=case((duration<30),"TRUE") | search short_lived = TRUE | table _time, ComputerName, Account_Name, Command, Task_Name, short_lived | `short_lived_scheduled_task_filter`

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dparmar

Hi even I am looking for including ADM account's but unable to write query for that. So how the query would look like to only get alerts from ADM* accounts?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The query would look something like this

index=wineventlog sAMAccountName="ADM*"

Of course, this would be useful only if the admin accounts in your organization start with "ADM".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your company has a naming convention for admin accounts ("adm*", for instance) then you can a filter to include only those.

Another option is to filter on the src_user_type field, if it's populated.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...