Splunk Dev

During custom application upgrades, is there a configuration to limit what files or directories to update?

cmutt78
Explorer

I have a custom application that does incremental loads from an external resource. I maintain a file with the latest timestamps so that each run I can read the file and pull the new data. My struggle is with how do I perform application upgrades without rolling these files back to their initial value. Is there a configuration that can be set to ignore file types or directories during a custom application upgrade?

Please advise.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The "modular input way", which I also would suggest for other types of inputs, is to use the "checkpoint_dir" configuration. When A modular input is created, it is assigned a special checkpoint directory to store such files that keep checkpoints. Each file contains whatever information is needed for the input (either a single timestamp, or perhaps a json object with a more complex status). The location for modular input is /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/$INPUTNAME. This will do a few things for you:

1. Remove dependency on default and local configs. You could remove the entire App, reinstall, and as long as the script looks in the checkpoint dir, you are fine.
  2. A consistent place to put the files, and won't (read shouldn't) break across Splunk upgrades.

As always, you can contact me directly via email, IRC (#splunk on EfNet), or just shouting at the screen (ok, maybe not that one).

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you put your timestamp file in the 'local' directory, it won't be affected by upgrades. Apps should not deliver a 'local' directory.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...