Security

Parsing pfSense logs

ketchapay

We're running some pfSense (FreeBSD-based firewall) on our network and dumping it to a dedicated syslog-ng server. When splunk reads the dumped files in syslog, it doesn't break it apart into fields which is what I expected. pfSense uses the pf (packet filter) tool originally from OpenBSD to manage the firewall rules.

Here's a sample line from the log:

Jan 11 07:28:30 141.102.4.254 pf: 000145 rule 141/0(match): block in on bge0: (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 58078, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 1052) 141.102.12.99.1137 > 188.40.123.111.24460: UDP, length 1024
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

s0mmy1
Engager

I just created a blog entry on how I was able to parse the pfSense files. It works for me and hopefully will work for you too. http://blog.basementpctech.com/2012/02/splunk-and-pfsense-what-pair.html

View solution in original post

s0mmy1
Engager

I just created a blog entry on how I was able to parse the pfSense files. It works for me and hopefully will work for you too. http://blog.basementpctech.com/2012/02/splunk-and-pfsense-what-pair.html

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great addition to the community! Thanks!

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Try looking here for more info: Parsing pfSense Logs Part 2

Short answer: When setting up the input file, assign a manual sourcetype of pfSense

Then include the following in props.conf

[pfSense]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=match

You will probably have to define the fields yourself. There are a couple of ways to do that:

Overview of Search-Time Field Extractions has an overview

Create search-time field extractions by editing configuration files - this is my preferred way to do this

Note: you do not want to use index-time extractions.

dont

What is the easiest way to package up a chunk of logs for you to look at ?

And where should I send it ?

Thanks,

-d

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It would be helpful to see a sample of what these log files or lines look like.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...