Other Usage

How to join to a literal dataset?

trevorreed
Explorer

I've got the following query to detect that a worker instance of mine is actually doing what it's supposed to on a regular basis. If it doesn't in a particular environment, the query won't return a row for that environment. I thought perhaps I could join the results with a literal dataset of environments, to ensure there is a row for each environment, but despite looking over the documentation, I can't find a way to make the join work. Admittedly, I'm new to Splunk querying, so might be missing something obvious, or there might be some other way of doing this without `join`.

| mstats sum(worker.my_metric) AS my_metric
    WHERE index="service_metrics" 
      AND host=my-worker-*
    earliest=-2h
    BY host
| eval env = replace(host, "^my-worker-(?<env>[^-]+)$", "\1")
| stats sum(my_metric) AS my_metric
    BY env
| eval active = IF(my_metric > 0, "yes", "no")
| join type=right left=M right=E WHERE M.env = E.env
  from [{ env: "dev" }, { env: "beta" }, { env: "prod" }]

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Finding something that is not there is not Splunk's strong suit.  See this blog entry for a good write-up on it.

https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

FTR, if an <env> value is missing, it will be absent from the stats command results, not zero.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...