Getting Data In

inputs.conf wait time t monitor file

rbardonetorian
Path Finder

Hello,

I am running into an issue where the 6.5.3 UF does not wait long enough on the monitored file as the file sometimes takes 400 secs to fully have been reported upon and close.

Looking at the inputs.conf man page I notice "followTail" and "time_before_close" configurations.

Could someone shed some light as to what "time_before_close = " really does?
Will this "time_before_close = " configuration set the the UF to wait until my specified time to read the file in its entirety?

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

beatus
Communicator

rbardonetorian,
"time_before_close" Will cause Splunk to wait a specified amount of time after Splunk has reach an EOF condition. The default of 3 seconds can be too low on systems buffering their writes or very heavily loaded systems. That will cause Splunk to truncate events.
Another option that will help is "multiline_event_extra_waittime = true". I'd recommend using this setting in combination with "time_before_close".

Between these two settings, Splunk will wait longer for writes to happen when they're "mid event" and that will reduce event truncation significantly.

Some draw-backs of "time_before_close" are that Splunk will use extra file descriptors as it is keeping more files open longer.

Lastly, don't use "followTail" unless instructed to do so by support. It doesn't sound like it will help in your situation and will likely cause more issues than it solves.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

beatus
Communicator

rbardonetorian,
"time_before_close" Will cause Splunk to wait a specified amount of time after Splunk has reach an EOF condition. The default of 3 seconds can be too low on systems buffering their writes or very heavily loaded systems. That will cause Splunk to truncate events.
Another option that will help is "multiline_event_extra_waittime = true". I'd recommend using this setting in combination with "time_before_close".

Between these two settings, Splunk will wait longer for writes to happen when they're "mid event" and that will reduce event truncation significantly.

Some draw-backs of "time_before_close" are that Splunk will use extra file descriptors as it is keeping more files open longer.

Lastly, don't use "followTail" unless instructed to do so by support. It doesn't sound like it will help in your situation and will likely cause more issues than it solves.

0 Karma

rbardonetorian
Path Finder

Perfect , thank you!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...