Getting Data In

Whitelist/Blacklist Event ID using Forwarder Management

jonsantos
Engager

I am running Splunk Enterprise 7.1.1 and testing how the Forwarder Management uses the Serverclass.conf for Event ID whitelisting / blacklisting. I created a folder directory "winevt" in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps folder to enable the "winevt" App. I created a server class called "PROD" and moved 1 machine over to it. I then created a default directory with a "inputs.conf" file in this path $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/winevt. I'd like to test whitelisting only event id 4625 from the windows security logs
so I modified the "inputs.conf" file which contains:

[WinEventLog:Security]
disabled=0

only index events with these event IDs.

whitelist = EventCode=4625
blacklist = EventCode=4624,4634,4648,4670,4672

On the universal forwarder, i do see that this file appears from C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\winevt\default. However, I do not see any security logs being forwarded to my indexer. Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor

Hi dyude @jonsantos ,
Can u try this,

On the deployment server create an inputs.conf file in the local diretory of winevt app( $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps/winevt/local/inputs.conf) and then try pushing the file.

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
whitelist1 = EventCode=4625

An inputs.conf should get created in local directory of winevt app in the forwarder(C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\winevt\local\inputs.conf ). Check the permission of the inputs.conf file in forwarder.

Search the logs with the given index name(if any).

Let me know if this helps

0 Karma

sswigart
Engager

I have configured my \etc\system\local\inputs.conf as follows:

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0

whitelist = EventCode="4625"

The above whitelist only forwards event ID 4625 log events to my collector. I did not have to blacklist any other event IDs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...