Getting Data In

Using sedcmd to truncate QPM=

eoc

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has a solution to an issue I'm having truncating out some values we deem to be "junk".

We have Splunk indexing logs from AD security and I have the below sedcmd configured:

SEDCMD-shorternQPM = s/(.*QPM.*).*//g

Post restarting the indexer service I couldn't see any noticeable difference in the output.

Below is a snippet of the line where QPM exists:

QPM=

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Are you looking to truncate part of your raw data or just drop the whole event itself (no indexing)? If it's the latter, I would suggest reading/implementing this:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_...

Your sample data and configuration entries will get truncated if you do not format them using "100010" button on top of the text editor in this page (or select and press Ctrl+K).

0 Karma

eoc

Hi Everyone,

Apologies, appears I hit a character limit.

We need most of the log file and need to omit a small component of it.

An example of a line we are attempting to clean can be seen below:

QPM=<root> <QPM id="the-one"> <public> <Options> <param name="sprPrmLockCount" value="2" /> <param name="sprPrmLockTimestamp" value="11.06.2016 20:36:31" /> <param name="sprPrmLocked" value="no" /> <param name="Layout" value="M|M|M|M|M" /> <param name="sprAnswersHashed" value="no" /> <param name="sprForceEnrollStartDate" /> <param name="sprInvalidQAProfile" value="no" /> <param name="sprLID" value="en" /> <param name="sprShortestAnswerSize" value="5" /> </Options> </public>

Any help is much appreciated

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What part do you need to omit?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

eoc

All of it from QPM to the end of the line

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't say which "QPM", but (QPM.*) should match everything from the first one.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You didn't give us much to work with.

The SEDCMD string is expecting a single character before "QPM", but the sample data has no such character. That's one possible explanation for the failure.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...