Getting Data In

Splunk train sourcetype doesn't work, gives "Parameters must be in the form '-parameter value'"

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When i try to train splunk to automatically recognize files of a given type, I get the following:

# $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk train sourcetype /tmp/maillog qmail_maillog
errror:    Parameters must be in the form '-parameter value'

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a workaround?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Firstly, for many cases, applying sourcetypes by file pattern can be preferable to content-based recognition. The file pattern rules are easier to audit. This can be done via overlapping input stanzas (in 4.1+), or by source:: regex-like patterns in props.conf.

If you do have the need to apply sourcetypes by content, then the train command is busted (SPL-31078), but it's just a candy wrapper over the following, which you can use directly for full effect:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd classify path/to/myfile mysourcetype 

If you're trying to use train to recognize timestamps, I generally recommend using TIME_FORMAT instead.

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Firstly, for many cases, applying sourcetypes by file pattern can be preferable to content-based recognition. The file pattern rules are easier to audit. This can be done via overlapping input stanzas (in 4.1+), or by source:: regex-like patterns in props.conf.

If you do have the need to apply sourcetypes by content, then the train command is busted (SPL-31078), but it's just a candy wrapper over the following, which you can use directly for full effect:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd classify path/to/myfile mysourcetype 

If you're trying to use train to recognize timestamps, I generally recommend using TIME_FORMAT instead.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...