Getting Data In

Is there an easy way to create fake data?

sboogaar
Path Finder

I am making a test in python where I want to validate if an ITSI kpi works as expected.

Lets say I have an index called alerts

And I want the following data in the index, because it should trigger an alert

{"alert":"true", "time":"1666702756"}

I know there is a splunk event gen application but it feels to big to add a simple line, what is the most simple way to add an event to an index? For example is it possible to do with an api call? I tried looking around but could not find a good example, for something that feels very trivial. 

Note: we can not use the splunk python sdk as we use a custom proxy/url and the python sdk does not support any custom urls. We are able to run queries with our own python script so if it is possible with a spl query that is fine to.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

johnhuang
Motivator

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"alert\":\"true\", \"time\":\"".now()."\"}"
| collect index=<index_name> source=<source_name> sourcetype=<source_type> output_format=raw

View solution in original post

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"alert\":\"true\", \"time\":\"".now()."\"}"
| collect index=<index_name> source=<source_name> sourcetype=<source_type> output_format=raw

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you looked at the collect command with output_format="hec" as you might be able to use it to create JSON events in the index for you?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...