Getting Data In

Is there an easy way to create fake data?

sboogaar
Path Finder

I am making a test in python where I want to validate if an ITSI kpi works as expected.

Lets say I have an index called alerts

And I want the following data in the index, because it should trigger an alert

{"alert":"true", "time":"1666702756"}

I know there is a splunk event gen application but it feels to big to add a simple line, what is the most simple way to add an event to an index? For example is it possible to do with an api call? I tried looking around but could not find a good example, for something that feels very trivial. 

Note: we can not use the splunk python sdk as we use a custom proxy/url and the python sdk does not support any custom urls. We are able to run queries with our own python script so if it is possible with a spl query that is fine to.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

johnhuang
Motivator

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"alert\":\"true\", \"time\":\"".now()."\"}"
| collect index=<index_name> source=<source_name> sourcetype=<source_type> output_format=raw

View solution in original post

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"alert\":\"true\", \"time\":\"".now()."\"}"
| collect index=<index_name> source=<source_name> sourcetype=<source_type> output_format=raw

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you looked at the collect command with output_format="hec" as you might be able to use it to create JSON events in the index for you?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...