Getting Data In

How to find the difference between 2 times in date time format?

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI, I have two fields A and B with time format as 1/07/2014 3:41:12 PM.
Please let me know how to find difference between A and B in hours with this format?

e.g., if A is 1/07/2014 3:41:12 PM and B is 2/07/2014 2:41:12 PM, B-A should be 23 hours

1 Solution

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi,

you could convert your two timestamps to epoch time, which is then seconds. Then you can calculate the difference between your timestamps in seconds (your B-A). After this you divide the result by 3600 which is an hour in seconds. If you want, you can then round to a full hour or whatever you like:

| eval epoch_A=strptime(A,"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval epoch_B=strptime(B,"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval diff=round(('epoch_B'-'epoch_A') / 3600)

View solution in original post

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI, is there a way in splunk to get the difference only on the business hours i.e., from 9AM to 5PM and excluding saturday,sunday,public holidays?

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi,

you could convert your two timestamps to epoch time, which is then seconds. Then you can calculate the difference between your timestamps in seconds (your B-A). After this you divide the result by 3600 which is an hour in seconds. If you want, you can then round to a full hour or whatever you like:

| eval epoch_A=strptime(A,"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval epoch_B=strptime(B,"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval diff=round(('epoch_B'-'epoch_A') / 3600)

karthikTIL
Path Finder

Excellent,Thanks Tom

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Try to replace the " with ' symbols for the first argument in the strptime function. Like this:

"eval epoch_A=strptime('Assigned_TIME',"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval epoch_B=strptime('In Progress_TIME',"%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval diff=round(('epoch_B'-'epoch_A') / 3600)|table diff"

karthikTIL
Path Finder

I dont find output when i mention this
"eval epoch_A=strptime("Assigned_TIME","%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval epoch_B=strptime("In Progress_TIME","%d/%m/%Y %I:%M:%S %p") | eval diff=round(('epoch_B'-'epoch_A') / 3600)|table diff"

fyi., A is Assigned_Time and B is In Progress_Time

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...