Getting Data In

How to configure props.conf and transforms.conf to filter out events from web logs before getting indexed?

tmarlette
Motivator

I am attempting to filter out healthcheck's within our system from our web logs. I am using the props.conf / transforms.conf method on the indexer in order to begin filtering these out. I have inserted all of the necessary parameters, and restarted the system, however the events are still appearing. This environment is a cluster, so I am pushing the configurations from the cluster master. See props / transforms entries below.

props.conf:

[www_stg] 
TRANSFORMS-hck = webHealthCheckFilterStg 

transforms.conf:

[webHealthCheckFilterStg] 
    REGEX = 10.207.*.* 
    REGEX = 10.207.*.* 
    REGEX = 10.207.*.*
    REGEX = 10.207.*.* 
    REGEX = myHealtchCheckUser
    REGEX = (h|H)ealth(c|C)heck) 
    DEST_KEY = queue 
    FORMAT = nullQueue

I don't see the events getting filtered, so I'm assuming I have a syntax error somewhere. Am I doing something wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First, I have 3 remarks on the regexes.

• you cannot put more than 1 REGEX per transfoms.
  • your regex are not valid, you need to escape the dots and you may want to specify that you expect digits
    REGEX=10\.207\.\d+\.\d+

• you should group all your regex in a single one with OR conditions. This can be faster than create a new tranform per regex.
    example : REGEX=(myHealtchCheckUser|10\.207\.\d+\.\d+)

And finally, double check that :

• the events are not send from a heavy forwarder that already parsed the events
  • that the sourcetype does not have any INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS rules that will cause them to be parsed on the forwarders In both case, try with the props/transforms on the forwarder.

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First, I have 3 remarks on the regexes.

• you cannot put more than 1 REGEX per transfoms.
  • your regex are not valid, you need to escape the dots and you may want to specify that you expect digits
    REGEX=10\.207\.\d+\.\d+

• you should group all your regex in a single one with OR conditions. This can be faster than create a new tranform per regex.
    example : REGEX=(myHealtchCheckUser|10\.207\.\d+\.\d+)

And finally, double check that :

• the events are not send from a heavy forwarder that already parsed the events
  • that the sourcetype does not have any INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS rules that will cause them to be parsed on the forwarders In both case, try with the props/transforms on the forwarder.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...