Getting Data In

How to clean up dnslogs and replacing and trimming characters?

secphilomath1
Explorer

We have some MS dns logs we want to ingest and we want to clean up some of the text before processing.

Essentially the fielddata is coming in as (10)somedomain(3)diy(8)whatever(3)com(0) and we want to only show as somedomain.diy.whatever.com

I have the first part I think, and using the search as a test of course...

| rex field=query mode=sed "s/\(.*?\)/./g"

Which leaves me with .somedomain.diy.whatever.com. I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the leading and trailing .'s 

Is there away to do it in all one line?  Bear with me here, this is new territory for me.

Thanks for your help

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @secphilomath1 

Here's a method you could try

| makeresults
| eval query="(10)somedomain(3)diy(8)whatever(3)com(0)"
      ,query=replace(query, "^\(\d+\)|\(\d+\)$", "")
| rex field=query mode=sed "s/\(.*?\)/./g"

Hope it helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...