Getting Data In

How many monitor stanza and how many index in inputs.conf file ?

brober27

Hi !
I have three types of logs from three different applications. I have loaded these logs on the Unversal Forwarder, in three different directories (opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app1/,opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app2/, opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app3/).
I want they be sent to the indexer (I have only one Indexer - Indexer1) to three different indexes (index_app1, index_app2, index_app3).
I have written this inputs.conf file and put it in the /system/local directory:

[default]
host = universalforw
[monitor:///opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app1/]
disabled = false
index = index_app1
[monitor:///opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app2/]
disabled = false
index = index_app2
[monitor:///opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/app3/]
disabled = false
index = index_app3

Is this right? And should this logs be indexed in the indexer without any other configuration?
Should I need to write props.conf and trasforms.conf in order to redifect these logs o different indexes?

Thanks. Bye

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This will work, although, for better performance, you should write a props.conf file that tells Splunk how to parse your data.

It's also considered a best practice to put inputs.conf in an app rather than in etc/system/local. That prepares you for the day you start using a deployment server,

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...