Getting Data In

How do I stop a Splunk Heavy Forwarder from sending Info Metrics events via syslog?

tonyparreiro
Explorer

Hello,

I'm playing around in the lab and I've set up a configuration where a Splunk heavy forwarder is receiving Windows events from another computer, then forwarding via syslog to a SIEM system. Looking at the traffic in Wireshark, I can see the event logs going across, but I'm also seeing lots of Info Metrics events going as well.

How do I stop the Info Metrics events?

On the computer with the Splunk universal forwarder, I have the Windows security events logs forwarding to the Heavy forwarder using _TCP_ROUTING and the other logs/perfmon etc should be going via the standard defaultGroup parameter to another server.

On the heavy forwarder, the received data is routed to the syslog server (SIEM) using the _SYSLOG_ROUTING parameter in the inputs file, so only the received events from there should be routed to the syslog group.

My Splunk Heavy Forwarder inputs/outputs conf files are as follows

inputs.conf

# input for other servers
[splunktcp://9998]
disable=0
_SYSLOG_ROUTING = siem

[WinEventLog://Security]
_SYSLOG_ROUTING = siem
disabled = 0
index = wineventlog

outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server = splunk.lab.local:9997

[syslog:siem]
server = siem.lab.local:514
type = udp

petehmrc
Path Finder

Just wondering if you ever got a satisfactory answer to this? I have the same problem but with TCP forwarder:

[tcpout] defaultgroup = logstash
disabled = false

forwardedindex.0.whitelist = .*
forwardedindex.1.blacklist = _.*
forwardedindex.2.blacklist =
(_audit|_internal|_introspection)

[tcpout:logstash]
server=localhost:7777 sendCookedData =
false useACK = true

Seeing loads of messages like:

INFO Metrics - group=thruput, name=uncooked_output, instantaneous_kbps=0.176377, instantaneous_eps=0.096773, average_kbps=0.355449, total_k_processed=44.000000, kb=5.467773, ev=3.000000
INFO Metrics - group=thruput, name=thruput, instantaneous_kbps=0.176377, instantaneous_eps=0.096773, average_kbps=0.371606, total_k_processed=46.000000, kb=5.467773, ev=3.000000, load_average=0.030000
INFO Metrics - group=tcpout_connections, name=logstash:127.0.0.1:7777:0, sourcePort=8090, destIp=127.0.0.1, destPort=7777, _tcp_Bps=186.73, _tcp_KBps=0.18, _tcp_avg_thruput=0.39, _tcp_Kprocessed=46, _tcp_eps=0.10, kb=5.47

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is just a hunch, but maybe adding the setting sendCookedData = false to your outputs.conf is all you need. See docs here.

0 Karma

tonyparreiro
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion jeff, I didn't see that as an option under the syslog: stanza but gave it a go and it didn't do anything. I also tried putting it in the computer sending logs to the heavy forwarder in it's tcpout: stanza and it pretty much blocked everything, I could see some data between the the computer and the heavy forwarder but nothing was going to the siem, I assume because the heavy forwarder didn't know how to process any of the uncooked data.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest turning this switch on when forwarding data to other splunk instances. It's intended to be deployed when sending data to third party systems as described here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...