Deployment Architecture

Why am I getting error "command not found" trying to start the Splunk service on Ubuntu 14?

ppbl
Engager

I have successfully installed splunk on ubuntu server 14. Problem is that I cannot start the service.
I keep getting command not found error.
I've tried: sudo /opt/splunk/bin/splunk start
sudo service splunk start

how do I start the splunk service ?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Tanefo
Path Finder

hello my dear , if are sure you are install your splunk well on opt directory
go to bin directory like this: cd /opt/splunk/bin/
now run this command from your bin directory: ./splunk start or ./splunk restart

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you first install splunk, it doesnt install it as a system server. This means a 'service splunk start' will not work. The first time you start Splunk, you need to run the command:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk start

After this starts, if you want to be able to run this via services, you'll need to do a:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk enable boot-start

That will enable the neccesary service and runtime commands for Linux. After this you can do a service splunk re/start/status.

w0lverineNOP
Path Finder

And to stop splunk:

cd /opt/splunk/bin
./splunk stop

0 Karma

ppbl
Engager

fwiw I tried those commands and they failed...

what wound up working is to go to the folder /opt/splunk/bin and from there typing this command: sudo ./splunk start (note the ./ )

markthompson
Builder

@MuS in other words they weren't in the right directory...

Looking at above comment, didnt do the CD prior to starting

Tanefo
Path Finder

hello my dear , if are sure you are install your splunk well on opt directory
go to bin directory like this: cd /opt/splunk/bin/
now run this command from your bin directory: ./splunk start or ./splunk restart

MuS
Legend

all my test / dev servers are on Ubuntu 14 and no problem anywhere. I start them as user splunk which was created during install:

1. sudo bash
  2. su - splunk
  3. /opt/splunk/bin/splunk start

if this is not working follow @richgalloway and try to re-install Splunk

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If /opt/splunk/bin/splunk doesn't exist, then perhaps the installation was not successful.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...