Alerting

How to trigger an alert if the condition remains for a certain period of time?

splunking1
Explorer

I am trying to create an alert when the field toState changes to OPEN and stays in that OPEN state for 5 minutes. I have tried the following but it is not working. Would appreciate if I get some pointers. 

... CB_STATE_TRANSITION | timechart span=5m count(toState="OPEN") as state | stats count | where count > 1

I have the alert run every 5 minutes and triggers when the number of results > 0. 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help.

... CB_STATE_TRANSITION 
``` Get the most recent time and state ```
| stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(toState) as toState
``` Keep only the "OPEN" events with a timestamp at least 5 minutes old ```
| where (toState="OPEN" AND _time < relative_time(now(), "-5m")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps this will help.

... CB_STATE_TRANSITION 
``` Get the most recent time and state ```
| stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(toState) as toState
``` Keep only the "OPEN" events with a timestamp at least 5 minutes old ```
| where (toState="OPEN" AND _time < relative_time(now(), "-5m")
---

splunking1
Explorer

I appreciate the reply. I am curious about the issue with my approach. Conceptually, it makes sense. What is the problem with that approach? Just trying to understand. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You said your query was "not working" without qualification so I offered a query that should work.

Let's take a closer look at the original query.  The transaction command counts the number of "OPEN" events in each 5-minute period of the search time window.  Depending the time window chosen, this will produce one or more results.

| timechart span=5m count(toState="OPEN") as state
_timestate
01/29/2023 14:300
01/29/2023 14:350
01/29/2023 14:400

The stats command then counts the number of results produced by timechart.

| stats count | where count > 1

Giving us "3", which is greater than 1.  That will erroneously trigger an alert.

Let's say we run the query over the previous 5 minutes with known "OPEN" events.  The timechart command might produce something like this

_timestate
01/29/2023 14:453

This time the stats command will return "1", which is not greater than 1 and so the alert will erroneously NOT trigger.

Like a broken clock, the query will occasionally work, but the false positives and false negatives make it unreliable.

The query could be improved by removing the stats command.

... CB_STATE_TRANSITION | timechart span=5m count(toState="OPEN") as state | where count > 1

This will give us only the 5-minute periods where an "OPEN" event occurred and the alert can be triggered if there are results.  That doesn't mean, however, that the "OPEN" was present for all 5 of those minutes.

---

splunking1
Explorer

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much. One final question: If I were to extend your query to different host; would it still work?

....CB_STATE_TRANSITION | stats latest(_time) as _time, latest(toState) as toState by host | where (toState="OPEN" AND _time < relative_time(now(), "-5m"))

I have different hosts and it is possible that the alert does not trigger for one of them even though the state was set to open for the last 5 minutes due to the state transitioning to closed. That would be a false positive so I want to account for each host separately. I will accept your answer once this thread is closed so don't worry 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, adding "by host" should work as you expect.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...