Thanks. You put me on the right path to finding the answer.
I was able ping back and forth, I could telnet back and forth. I ran wireshark on the Windows endpoint and saw all connections going through fine; but something just wasn't working.
On a whim, I changed the deploymentclient.conf file to include the IP of the deployment server instead of the hostname; and it worked. So I went back and changed my install command to use the IP only; and again everything worked. I think this has something to do with Windows networking, wherein I was specifying "splunkslogs" as the hostname, but Windows was resolving it as "splunkslogs.local" since it's my local home playground network. This is pure speculation though. (I come from the days of WINS for local name resolution, so I haven't done much digging on this .local thing now that WINS is pretty much gone).
At any rate, thanks!
... View more