Training + Certification Discussions

Just Starting Question

Lilchoncho
Engager

I am just now starting to learn splunk.

I had a few questions as I begin my journey that I was hoping someone could provide feedback too.

- What is a realistic time line of learning splunk to acquiring a job?

- What are must have certificates, other knowledge/skills, and experience when it comes to finding a job in splunk?

-Is there any third party (relatively cheap) training you recommend to help land my first gig?

I appreciate the feedback and I look forward to learning as much as possible!

Thank you

0 Karma

amesser
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Spot on, Rick!

And—yes—we have more free training than ever now on Splunk.com/Education. You can sort the content by type and see "Free Courses", or check out our new single-subject courses that provide deep-dive training by topic. The paid versions of these 3-hour courses are $500.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Lilchoncho wrote:

- What is a realistic time line of learning splunk to acquiring a job?

Anywhere from 0 days to 5+years.  It depends on the job and the employer's expectations.  Some jobs require no Splunk experience or even awareness as they will teach you what you need to know.  Other jobs expect a highly competent person to come in and teach *them* what they need to know.

That said, I've seen a person go from knowing little about Splunk to being a consultant in about a year.  That was a very bright and extremely dedicated person, but it shows what's possible with hard work.

- What are must have certificates, other knowledge/skills, and experience when it comes to finding a job in splunk?

See the above.  Some employers expect nothing while others want a certified architect with years of experience.  Figure out what you want to do then look around to see what it takes to get there.  Then decide if you're up to it or not.

-Is there any third party (relatively cheap) training you recommend to help land my first gig?

Yes, third-party training is available.  Most is of questionable quality.  With the demand for Splunk talent, I doubt you'll find much that is "cheap", but remember that you usually get what you pay for.

The best and cheapest place to start is with Splunk's free training.  See education.splunk.com

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...