Training + Certification Discussions

Free Splunk 7.x Fundamentals Part 1 (eLearning) - Lab exercises

sperez30

Hello,
Is there a sandbox lab environment on the site where we can work on the Lab Exercises at the end of each module. My work laptop does not allow me to download/install software and, therefore, i do not have admin rights. Any other suggestions/options that you could recommend in order for me to complete the lab exercises?

Thanks,

0 Karma

sperez30

Thanks for the tips. I will reach out to Splunk support portal and go the route you suggested.

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could spin up a free trial of Splunk Cloud here: https://www.splunk.com/page/sign_up/cloud_trial?redirecturl=%2Fgetsplunk%2Fcloud_trial

This will give you a 15Day trial of Splunk Cloud that you can perform searches on and whatnot.

Ideally, though, I would recommend having a machine that you can install onto as your own lab/testing environment.

sperez30

Thank you for suggesting the Splunk Cloud. However, it may not have the ideal environment. I'm sure Splunk Cloud will not have the Power user authority that is required for the lab exercises. Therefore, I may not get the exact same results.

Consequently, the Splunk Enterprise 7.x download file is only supported by Windows 8 and 10 according to whats available on the download screen. I have Windows 7 on my work laptop and at home, so unless this level of Splunk 7.x tolerates a Windows 7 platform, then there's that other issue as well.

0 Karma

ragedsparrow
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe the role you are assigned on Splunk Cloud is admin. I could be wrong though, I usually run my testing on a Linux platform. I believe that you can still install Splunk on Win7, but it's just not a supported platform anymore. Another option would be to run a light virtual environment (Virtual Box is free) with a Linux OS and build Splunk in that.

You could also reach out to Splunk through the Support Portal and see if they can provide you with a temporary instance for you to use. It never hurts to ask.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...