Splunk Search

why splunk doesn't resolve stats count on postprocess ?

sfatnass
Contributor

when i try to run a stats count using postprocess splunk doesn't resolve the query search and i don't know why ?

this is my dashboard :

<form>
  <label>Post Process Search</label>
  <description>Each panel post processes the base search through a separate search pipeline.</description>
  <search id="internal_data">
      <query>index=_internal </query>
  </search>
  <fieldset autoRun="true" submitButton="false">
    <input type="time" searchWhenChanged="true">
      <default>
        <earliest>0</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
     <table>
      <title>Top Sourcetypes</title>
      <search base="internal_data">
          <query>stats count(uri_path)</query>
      </search>

</table>
    <chart>
      <title>Events over Time</title>
      <search base="internal_data">
          <query>timechart count</query>
      </search>
      <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
    </chart>

</row>
</form>
0 Karma
1 Solution

TStrauch
Communicator

Hi,

its a little tricky. Splunk runs all Dashboard searches in fast mode. So for your search index=_internal no fields are extracted during search time. This means you cannot do a stats command on "uri_path" because splunk just dont know the field in your postprocess search. just do

"index=_internal | fields *" for your basesearch and it will work.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/152287/why-search-with-postprocessing-returns-no-results-in-dashb...

regards

View solution in original post

TStrauch
Communicator

Hi,

its a little tricky. Splunk runs all Dashboard searches in fast mode. So for your search index=_internal no fields are extracted during search time. This means you cannot do a stats command on "uri_path" because splunk just dont know the field in your postprocess search. just do

"index=_internal | fields *" for your basesearch and it will work.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/152287/why-search-with-postprocessing-returns-no-results-in-dashb...

regards

sfatnass
Contributor

thx ^^ it worl perfectly

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Basically you must apply a transforming command in your base search fields, stats, etc. Keep in mind that their is 100,000 event limit when using post process searches.

0 Karma

sfatnass
Contributor

but it's possible to extend this limit?

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Limits are controlled through limits.conf. I've never been able to ID a corresponding setting.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...