Splunk Search

what is the limit to the number of categories that can be in a legend in splunk timechart

HattrickNZ
Motivator

I have a timechart search that looks something like:

... | timechart  span=15m max(c84162281) as "Average Seizure Traffic per Line (Trunk Group)" by TG_Category | eval threshold=1

Some Observations/Questions:
But there is 14 categories to show and it only shows 10, and puts the remaining categories into Other. So that's 11 categories in total showing.
The legend seems to show the categories in alphabetical order. Can I order this by size or something else other that alphabetically?
Can I name Other to something else?
I can add another category to the legend using the eval threshold=1 and this seems to appear in the legend. So there is a limit there of sorts, but not completely it seems

0 Karma
1 Solution

chimell
Motivator

Hi HattrickNZ
use limit=0 like below

... | timechart span=15m  max(c84162281) as "Average Seizure Traffic per Line (Trunk Group)" by TG_Category   limit=0 | eval threshold=1

View solution in original post

fdi01
Motivator

try like this: .. | timechart span=15m useother=f limit=0 max(c84162281) as "Average Seizure Traffic per Line (Trunk Group)" by TG_Category |...

to see the "Other" category
and for more information on timechart command see this link: docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/SearchReference/timechart

0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi HattrickNZ ,
There is no limit for the number of categories that can be in legend in splunk timechart .
If you have 14 categories to show and it only shows 10, It is simply because splunk consider the value or the amount of the other categoties to be insignificant.
So splunk do not see an interest to put then in the legend But splunk gather all that values in one categories call other

Note that you can decide to display all your legend values( see what Chimell proposed).

chimell
Motivator

Hi HattrickNZ
use limit=0 like below

... | timechart span=15m  max(c84162281) as "Average Seizure Traffic per Line (Trunk Group)" by TG_Category   limit=0 | eval threshold=1

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Alternatively, you can add useother=f if you don't want to see the "Other" category.

0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

tks but useother=f will remvoe it completely from the legend and this is not what i want in this instance but good to know.

0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

limit=0 works by not grouping the remaining categories into Other.

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

You may also find the docs on timechart useful.

in particular otherstr can be used to rename Other.

0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

found this re the limit question

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...