Splunk Search

to check the attribute exist and assign the value

Jasmine
Path Finder

If attr.error exist then Error will be attr.error. If attr.error not exist and attr.error.errmsg exist then Error would be attr.error.errmsg.  i have tried the below code. only one case works other case fails. please advise

eval Error=case(NOT attr.error =="*", 'attr.error',NOT attr.error.errmsg =="*", 'attr.error.errmsg')

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What @richgalloway said, but whenever you reference a JSON field containing dots in the right hand side of an eval you MUST wrap the field name in single quotes, i.e. the first suggestion should be

eval Error=case(isnotnull('attr.error'), 'attr.error', 
                isnotnull('attr.error.errmsg'), 'attr.error.errmsg')

but for your solution the coalesce() option would make sense - note there the use of single quotes - always for the right hand side of the eval. 

This applies not just to JSON field names, but any field name that contains non simple characters or field names that start with numbers.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check for the existence of a field with the isnotnull() function.

eval Error=case(isnotnull(attr.error), 'attr.error', isnotnull(attr.error.errmsg), 'attr.error.errmsg')

or use the coalesce() function, which does the tests for you and selects the first listed field that is not null.

eval Error=coalesce('attr.error','attr.error.errmsg')

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...